Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Summer Time Art


Hello Eagles!  Welcome to a new school year.  I hope that everyone had a fun and creative summer.  I know I did!  I thought I would share a couple of my artistic endeavors from summer break with you.  Keep visiting for more artsy updates.



I was very excited to have the opportunity to paint some small murals on the walls at English Landing.  These decorative "frames" that I painted are located downstairs by the music room, as well as in the cafeteria.  It was so much fun! 


I also took a fiber art class at the Kansas City Art Institute.  They offer fabulous art classes for adults and kids, too!  Here are some of my Shibori samples.  Shibori is a technique of stitching, wrapping, or tying fabric into a bundle, and then dying it.  The cool part was, we only used plant matter to dye our fabrics!  The samples above were all dyed with red cabbage.  The different colors come from adding acid (lemon juice) or alkali (baking soda).
Here is some red cabbage that I boiled to dye my fabric.

We also learned to make bake baskets (shown above), and how to felt wool.

Want to take a class at the Kansas City Art Institute?  Click here to see activities availible for kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment